This blog is my attempt to keep track of some of the things I learn along the way, with my Canon 7D, G12 and accessories. All images copyright Brad Calkins, not to be used without permission (or purchase). I do not attempt to monetize my blog, other than to promote my stock photo portfolio on Dreamstime.







Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Getting Started

The purpose of this blog is to discuss and document the things I learn about EOS photography. I have used Canon cameras since 1985, when I got my first Canon AE-1. I didn't know for about 3 years that I could set my lens to A and get aperture priority! (I was 12 at the time and bought the camera in Hong Kong, didn't get a manual I could read, and my third party Tokina lens didn't actually have the 'A', but a circle.)

Nowadays, I am using a digital camera, the Canon 20D. I won't go into detail about my other equipment, except to say that I have been experimenting heavily with off camera flash within the Canon wireless system. I've learned lots from the ubiquitous Strobist website, as well as many others.

I intend to post tips and tricks that I have learned, as well as before and after shots for stuff I learn along the way. Not really intending this to become something many read, but if I can save someone from having to learn the hard way, it will be worth doing. At the same time, it is a place to put all the things I figure out for myself to refer back to. I suspect I will be surprised to look back in a few years and see what I was doing.

Sometimes writing something down is another way to cement the lesson learned.

No comments: