This blog is my attempt to keep track of some of the things I learn along the way, with my Canon 7D, G12 and accessories. All images copyright Brad Calkins, not to be used without permission (or purchase). I do not attempt to monetize my blog, other than to promote my stock photo portfolio on Dreamstime.







Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Canon 85mm f/1.2 II Prime

On the weekend I rented, among other things, the well regarded Canon 85mm prime. This was one heavy lens, and while capable of fantastic background blur, I didn't really think it through. I was planning on shooting against a white background (not too hard to blur that!) with some high powered strobes. When I got out the f/1.2 lens I couldn't get the lights low enough, or far enough away to use the wide open aperture. At f/8 this is like every other 85mm L lens that I own.

I did manage to capture a few available light shots near windows, etc. and they turned out great, but I highly recommend renting this for available light shooting, not studio!

No comments: