This blog is my attempt to keep track of some of the things I learn along the way, with my Canon 7D, G12 and accessories. All images copyright Brad Calkins, not to be used without permission (or purchase). I do not attempt to monetize my blog, other than to promote my stock photo portfolio on Dreamstime.







Thursday, February 18, 2010

Finally...

A few months back I picked up a Canon EF-S 10-22mm lens but then won the contest and purchased the Panasonic GF-1 right after. As a result I've kind of been neglecting getting out with the 10-22mm. For stock, I think it lends itself to outdoors since indoors you need a pretty clean room to use a 10mm lens without clutter :) Here is a recent shot that was accepted on Dreamstime:

Frost covered tree
© Photographer: Bradcalkins

On the technical side, I've found it to be very sharp and easy to use. It is fairly light and compact, and is still pretty wide when mounted on my GF-1 (20-44mm equivalent field of view). The CA is pretty low compared to other wide angles, but with a backlit tree you do get some. For a large print you probably wouldn't notice, but I still cleaned up the CA a little bit in Photoshop prior to submitted to Dreamstime.

The depth of field is amazing - this was shot at f/10 or so and the really close branches are only a few cms from the front of the lens! According to DOFMaster you get from 24cm to infinity when shooting at f/11!

No comments: