This blog is my attempt to keep track of some of the things I learn along the way, with my Canon 7D, G12 and accessories. All images copyright Brad Calkins, not to be used without permission (or purchase). I do not attempt to monetize my blog, other than to promote my stock photo portfolio on Dreamstime.







Thursday, February 25, 2010

Stick with it...

A while back I was reading an article on a new 'technique' called ttv - through the viewfinder. People are taking old cameras and attaching them to digital compacts and shooting through the viewfinder of the old film camera, being sure to include the viewfinder itself. I thought it would make a good border for stock (although purists eschew fake borders, of course). I got my hands on an old Pentax k-1000 body and figured I'd give it a try.

It was harder than I thought. The viewfinder has an optical distance of about a meter so you eye can focus, so a macro lens wasn't needed. What was hard was that most lenses I had didn't have the angle of view to get the whole viewfinder in. My trusty Panasonic GF1 and 20mm lens came to the rescue.

I was disappointed to see it not accepted on Dreamstime yesterday, so i made a few changes and got rid of the ground glass and focus circle which was grainy (true to life!). This morning, this was online:

Viewfinder
© Photographer: Bradcalkins

And while I'm at it, here is the back of the camera:

Abstract texture
© Photographer: Bradcalkins

No comments: